L1= primary or home language
Click HERE to see and download social media or newsletter campaign images
The Home Language: an English Language Learner’s Most Valuable Resource, from Colorin Colorado
Empowering ELL Parents and Families at Home, from Colorin Colorado
Wordless picture books
Sharing Wordless Pictures Books, from Colorin Colorado
Favorite Wordless Picture Books, from Reading Rockets
Wordless Books List, from Colorin Colorado
Talking about wordless pictures books, from the National Center for Family Literacy
Using wordless picture books, from Teaching My Friends
Bringing Up Baby, video from Reading Rockets
Reading With Your Child, video from WNET Education, available in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Bengali
Reading Reading Tips for Parents (in Multiple Languages), from Reading Rockets
Unite For Literacy, digital library with narrations in 50 different languages!
Creating a home library (English), from Reading Rockets
Creating a home library (Spanish), from Reading Rockets
Improving a home library (English), from Reading Rockets
Improving a home library (Spanish), from Reading Rockets
Educational Programs – for language development at home
Video captions and subtitles in multiple languages, video from Google
- Provide language frames for families, on a set of cards or a one-pager/cheatsheet, for them to ask school officials and teachers questions
- Ask families to provide a list of common phrases they use with their child in their first language. Share this list with other staff at school who interact with the child.
- Show families you are interested in and honor their first language.
- Show families how to use Microsoft Translator or Google Translate apps on their phones, so they can use the tools at home for English materials they’d like to read in their home language.
- Make a one page tips and resources sheet for multilingual families including your favorite resources listed above!